Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Science Verse


Bibliographical information
Title:
Science Verse.
Author:
Jon Scieszka.
Illustrator:
Lane Smith.
Date:
2004
Publisher:
Viking Juvenille (2007)

Plot:
Jon Scieszka proves in his witty book, Science Verse, that poetry can indeed be found in science. Mr. Newton tells his science class that if they listen carefully, they can hear the poetry of science in everything. All of a sudden, one little boy is struck with the science curse. Familiar song tunes, nursery rhymes, and poems take on a science twist. The book cleverly explains the water cycle using the tune from "It's raining, it's pouring, the old man is snoring." Another poem describes the food chain with "I've been working on the railroad" tune. This book has a poem/song on everything from amoebas to viruses. After a while, (and a lot of funny poems) the little boy snaps out of his science curse.

Theme: Science CAN be fun.
Poetry exists in everything.

Illustrations: I just loved the contrasting colors in this book. The pictures were very bright and vibrant. The bright arrangement of colors immediately caught my attention. If you want to catch your child's attention, check out this eye catching and witty book from your library.

My two cents: Growing up, I never cared too much for science. I think it was because when I was younger, everything was written in boring textbook format. I never could get interested in the subject. Due to my lack of interest, I never did well in science. My father was a big science buff, and watched Nova every Tuesday night like a religion. Perhaps if somebody read me Science Verse, I would like science a lot more today. This book is an excellent way to introduce children to the joys, wonders, and weirdness of science.


Extension lesson ideas: With your child (or class) pick two familiar nursery rhymes or songs, and choose a subject, such as math, science, or social studies. Write a new poem/song using that familiar tune. When you are done, sing your final masterpiece!

0 comments: