Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Superfudge


An old-timer, but still an instant classic every time I read it, Superfudge is the book every teacher must read to their students. Bibliographical information:
Title
: Superfudge.
Author: Judy Blume
Publisher: Scholastic Inc.
Genre: Contemporary realistic fiction

Plot:
This realistic yet wacky story is about an 11 year old boy, Peter Hatcher, and his family. In the beginning of the story, Peter receives the news that he will be blessed with a new addition to the family. Peter, however, does not feel blessed. In fact, he fears that the new baby will be exactly like Fudge. Fudge is a handful to handle, he uses vocabulary words in all the wrong ways, and he truly believes he can be a bird when he grows up! Peter feels frustrated because his parents do not consult him before they decide to have a baby. Because of his disappointment, he plans to run away. Eventually, Peter accepts that the baby is going to come, whether he likes it or not. After the baby bomb is dropped, Peter's family drops another bomb. Peter's father wants to work on a book, so the parents decide to move into Aunt Millie's house in New Jersey. Angry and upset that his feelings are not considered, he plans to run away. He soon learns to accept the difficult change he needs to face. Soon, Tootsie, the baby is born. Fudge, Peter's nusicance, feels threatned by Tootsie's presence. No longer the spotlight, Fudge attempts to give away Tootsie to anyone that will take her. Overall, this is a wonderful story about how both Peter and Fudge deal with their roles in the family. Fudge learns that he can no longer be the baby, and will need to be a big brother. Peter learns that he can not always run away from his problems.

Theme of story: You can't always run away from your problems

My two cents: This, boys and girls, is my all time favorite book. I read it maybe a total of six times. I can very well relate to what Peter is going through. Being the oldest is very difficult, and it often places a lot of pressure on the child. In my family, I am the eldest. It is ironic that at one time, my brother and sister were the same age has Fudge and Tootsie, and I was the same age as Peter. I also understand how Fudge felt when his baby sister was born. For six years, I was the only child, and I received a lot of attention. Then one day, my parents told me that they were going to have a baby. Oh great! At first, I thought it was no big deal. However, the more I thought about it, the more threatned I felt. Who will take care of me, why are people buying so many gifts for the baby, why don't my parents pay attention to me? When the baby came, somehow seeing the baby made my negative thoughts and fears disappear.

Lesson Extension:
In the book, Peter wants to run away and live with his best friend, Jimmy Fargo. Pretend that you are Peter's best friend. Knowing how upset he is, what are some things you may say to Peter in order to comfort him. What might you say to convince him that he should not run away?

Pair share:
with a partner, or group member, or even a parent, talk about what you would say. Try writing a few sentences first.

0 comments: